View Single Post
Old 03-11-2013, 12:36 PM   #9
coachrick
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autodidactic player View Post
What a small world. Spencer-Love is still going strong, I play there every so often in the summer; decent har-tru courts for $4.00 per hour for residents. Ya can't beat that!

I was finishing up law school in Chapel Hill in '84-'85 but when I graduated the Air Force sent me to Bergstrom AFB in lovely Austin TX! The base was actually quite nice, lots of tennis courts, jogging paths and a great golf course. Interestingly, the palm trees outside the officer's club were home to quite a few tropical birds. Unfortunately, the base closed in 1993. I got off active duty in 1991 and moved to Greensboro. Been here ever since.
As long as I have derailed the thread, Bergstrom more or less became the city's airport: ABIA, Austin-Bergstrom Int'l. The old Mueller city airport is now an 'urban development' of housing, retail along with a hospital. We looked at the area in its infancy-just a few row-style homes and a control tower!!! Acres and acres of F-L-A-T.http://www.muelleraustinonline.com/about.php

I almost bought my first house in Chapel Hill...on the road toward the Tennis Club...little bitty one-bedroom and a loft-style homes...single car garage. Just a shade over $100k, IIRC. The two-year stint in G'boro was my only personal connection; although Mom went to UNC-G when it was a women-only school back in the dark ages. The closest I come now is to visit our house in Highlands or get back to the Raleigh-Smithfield area for a reunion. If you have an interest in bluegrass music, my cousin Russell heads up a group called the "Grass Cats" out of the Raleigh-Smithfield-Four Oaks area.
coachrick is offline   Reply With Quote