Thread: Peak Play GOATS
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2013, 04:55 AM   #50
NatF
G.O.A.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyOne View Post
NatF, Yes, I rank Federer fifth regarding achievements and about tenth regarding playing level (which is not identic with peak play. Otherwise I must rank Hoad at first place, not at No.3 which I actually do, behind Rosewall and equal Laver).
How do you seperate playing level from peak play? Is playing level what you consider their consistant level to be?

Quote:
I don't remember which peak Federer matches I have seen but I did see matches at Paris, Wimbledon and Melbourne.
Might as I suggest to someone who professes to be a historian, that you should watch more of the Federer matches mentioned in this thread. I would watch more Rosewall if there were videos.

Quote:
The Rosewall matches which I have seen were disappointing for me: Wimbledon 1970, final; W.1974,SF, W.1974 final. In those matches Rosewall was not in best shape. I also saw a few early round matches of the 1975 W. won by Muscles against lesser players: Andersson (Sweden) and Barazzutti...
Then how is it that you can so strongly claim that Federer is beneath Rosewall in terms of level of play? I'd venture that I've seen alot more of Federer than you've seen of Rosewall and perhaps Federer combined...

Quote:
Generally the current players look faster than those of older times but I'm convinced it's mostly because of the improvement of equipment. Useing wood I would favour Rosewall over Federer.
Being taller also helps with longer strides when running. If Federer grew up with wood raquets I think you'd be surprised. His speed and footwork are excellent which would help with his timing with the smaller raquets. He'd also excell in fast conditions...

Quote:
I'm sure that the 1963 Rosewall was stronger than the 1970 one.
No doubt, but if you didn't see it how much better is just an assumption.
NatF is offline   Reply With Quote