Thread: Peak Play GOATS
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2013, 11:49 AM   #66
boredone3456
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by forzamilan90 View Post
yeah being too tall is a disadvantage. I think Del Potro at 6'6" is the tallest slam winner so far. Even he has numerous times problems with movements...

Speaking of which, I think of God mode peak, Del Potro's last two matches in 2009 US Open tournament versus Nadal (whom he absolutely destroyed in straights) and versus Federer where we saw probably the most powerful forehands ever hit can be a strong contender for God mode peak. Them forehands were just too much, you can't return something like this. Then his wrist got injured and we haven't seen him unleash power like that since. I really hope he can reach that threshold again, still an incredibly young player.
Well put. That tournament was a Deus ex Machina type of moment for Delpo. Fed had no clue what to do in some of those rallies because Delpo just overwhelmed him from everywhere on the court. No matter where Fed tried to to move him to Delpos shots just blitzed him.

The injury destroyed that though I think. He has worked well to cope and move back up the rankings, but he has not come that close to matching that shot potential. Its to bad..because the 09 US Open final was a really amazing performance.
boredone3456 is offline   Reply With Quote