View Single Post
Old 03-18-2013, 11:11 AM   #20
TheLambsheadrep
Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by toly View Post
IMO the best way to control wrist ulnar deviation is - we have to use our “wrist ulnar deviation muscles” actively to control motion dependent torque which is created by elbow extension.
So for the serve you're saying both grips can have/lock wrist ulnar deviation, but the hammer grip does it (more?) naturally? Also, the guy serving has his knuckles lined up on one bevel but his index finger is extended...and you still consider this the hammer grip...so the names of the grips differentiate between whether the knuckles are on one bevel or not, not if the index finger is extended or not?

Here (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showp...&postcount=124) i was confused about a few things - you were talking about the index finger as a fulcrum in a first class lever model despite saying that you cannot fully use a first class lever model since there is no gravity involved. So is figure 1 or 2 a more realistic model of the serve? Which one (more realistic or not) would produce an optimum serve? Can any of that information (on the effects of the extended index finger) be applied to a forehand (or 1H or 2H backhand for that matter)? You also said the index finger is generally extended because it increases torque. So in your opinion, is the hammer grip with an extended index finger the best service grip for serves (compared to the index finger not extended and/or using the continental grip)?

While I am now finding the input on the serve more interesting, I am mainly looking for how those figures can apply to forehands. Specifically, the differences of having an extended index finger and not. Plus, I (as well as SystemicAnomaly) am confused to why you would suggest the hammer grip is optimal for SW forehands (when you said "second one is better" in post 11, were you referring to the grip or the picture of the girl and the hummer? haha). If you meant the grip, can you elaborate why, since when you said "If ulnar deviation reaches the minimum of β and this angle is zero, due to pronation they could have very high probability to frame the ball. Thus, they should keep this angle away from zero," is that 0 degrees with the long axis of the racquet being horizontal or vertical? Were you still talking about the serve when you said this? I ask because if you were talking about the fh and meant vertical, I have never seen that so I don't think it's relevant, but if you meant horizontal, 9 out of 10 pics of pro forehands show they have the racquet horizontal at contact (and the other one is just off by a little bit).