View Single Post
Old 03-20-2013, 10:06 AM   #127
Chace
Semi-Pro

Default Babolat Propulse 4 Review

Tennis experience/background:
Started playing tennis on a regular basis when i was around 13 years old. Played on the varsity high school team each year. After high school I played in K-Swiss leagues(now Ultimate Tennis) and played some open tournaments. I stopped playing tennis for the most part from around age 20 to my late 20s. I am now in my mid-late 30s and play tennis 2-3 times a week. Mostly now for just fun, exercise and the joy of the sport. I hit with a group of guys that are solid 4.5s.

Describe your playing style (i.e. serve & volley):
Aggressive baseliner and will come to the net to finish the point off when i get a short ball.

Current shoe:
My current shoes are the Adidas Barricade 7s. I mostly play on hardcourts and enjoy the durability and lateral support of the barricades. To me the downside of the barricades are that they are a little on the heavy side. Other shoes i have used are previous iterations of the barricades, asics gel resolutions, nike breathe free 2, and nike cages.

How many hours did you play with the shoe?
About 15.

Comments on shoe performance:

-comfort: 9/10, definitely more comfortable than the barricade 7s. The shoes have a nice balance of performance and comfort. They almost feel like an extension of my legs. I do not notice that they are there (no bulkiness like the barricade 7s). I really enjoy the straps, they allow you to really lock in your foot. I have a narrow heel and the heel strap allows me to lock it in and there is no slippage.

-arch support: 10/10
I would say that i have a pretty normal arch. No issues there.

-stability/support: 10/10
I am very pleased with the stability and support. Again I feel the straps allow you to really lock in your foot. Excellent lateral support, no problems moving side to side or with lateral cuts and changing directions. I feel the Propulse 4s are equal to the barricades when it comes to support and stability.

-ventilation:9/10
No issues here. Definitely a little more airy/breathable thean the barricade 7s.

-sole durability:7.5/10
After about 15 hours of play the shoes are showing a decent amount of wear in the medial areas. The barricade 7s definitely have the edge here. I would questimate that the shoes might last 3-4 months. Not really an issue though since they have the 6 month durability warranty.

-toe durability:
No issues here but then again i am not a big toe dragger.

-traction: 9/10
The traction is great. Excellent amount of bite with just the right amount of give. I feel very confident when starting/stopping and changing directions.

-weight:9.5/10
To me they seem much lighter than the barricade 7s. I feel quick on my feet. If they were a tad bit lighter that would be even better but then most likely would have to sacrifice some durability and support to accomplish that.

General reaction/comments on overall performance:
Very slight break-in period of about 20 minutes on the court and after that they were superb, very comfortable. The black and yellow colorway looks much better in person than i expected. I am interested in seeing what colorways there will be down the road for the Propulse 4s. I could see myself switching to these shoes. I am very pleased with the overall performance of the shoes. A big thanks to TW and Babolat.
Chace is offline   Reply With Quote