Thread: JUicing
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2013, 04:01 PM   #31
SystemicAnomaly
G.O.A.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollinger View Post
... if you accept evolution then you probably feel that eating the whole thing likely has advantages. Even the banana peel has nutrients (tyramine, for example) not found in significant amounts in the banana. Eat the peel!!
Back in the late 60s we would smoke the dried banana peel instead (prompted by the Berkeley Barb hoax of '67). They call me "Mellow Yellow".

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollinger View Post
Never mind the juicing, get with Dr O's ... "Sardine Diet". Have sardines as one meal a day. They have astonishing nutrient content and because they're at the bottom of the food chain and one of the smallest fish we consume, they are relatively free of contaminants like mercury. Tins of sardines (fresh ones are hard to find and inconvenient for an office lunch) come in a variety of flavored oils, such as garlic, mustard, spicy spanish, and others.
Thanks for this suggestion. I've been eating them 2-3x/week. I might just up my intake. The varieties with skin & bones don't bother me at all -- they have up to 4x the calcium of the skinless, boneless varieties. Some of the flavored supermarket brands are not all that tasty tho' -- it seems that the quality of the sardines themselves in those supermarket brands is not that high (at least taste-wise). I don't recall if was the flavored Chicken of the Sea or Bumble Bee sardines that I did not care for.

Some sardine brands that I really enjoy are: BELA-Olhão, Trader Joes, and Crown Prince. Disappointed that TJs no longer carries BELA-Olhão but their own Light Smoked Sardines in Olive Oil and their Skinless & Boneless Sardines in Olive Oil are both quite good.
SystemicAnomaly is online now   Reply With Quote