View Single Post
Old 03-20-2013, 07:38 PM   #1
mikeler
G.O.A.T.

Default Wilson Gut 16/Ytex Pro Tour 16L Hybrid Review

Everyone says gut/poly is the best. Over a year ago, I tried some Unifibre (cheap) gut with my favorite shaped poly B5E. It was decent but lasted less than 4 sets. The general consensus on TTW is that gut mains need a smooth poly cross to "snap back" and achieve awesomeness. So I obliged and went down to the local tennis shop. I fondled all their polys and determined that Ytex Pro Tour white was the softest. I recently got some B5E from G4Driver (thanks again) and just handling B5E, it still feels much softer than the Ytex.

Stringing was fairly easy.

Tension it is strung: 50/45 pounds on a lockout machine
Your regular string set up: Discho Microfibre 16 @ 50 pounds
Racket: Prince Exo3 Tour
String pattern of your racquet: 16 x 18
Power (or lack there of): OK until the poly died
Feel: Seemed to depend on my level of play that day
Tension maintenance: Final tension loss reading was 17% on RacquetTune
Price: Not worth it
Overall comments and feedback: See below

General: My first outing with this I was worried it might be too stiff for a recovering tennis elbow. It always felt a little jarring the first few hard returns but after that, it felt good.

Serve/Return of Serve: Compared to full mutli jobs, I don't think this setup changed my serve much. I struggled some days on service returns big time.

Strokes: Just OK. I seemed to dump a lot of slice backhands in the net.

Volleys: Slightly below average.

Touch shots: Some days it was good, other days it sucked.

Softness: It got softer over time but definitely would prefer a better poly in the crosses.

Tension: My accuracy was not great with this setup. I'm not sure tension adjustments would help.

Durability: With string savers, this setup goes a long time. I cut it out because the poly was dead. The last 2 days, the setup just lost all "free" power.

Movement: String movement was just as bad as full multi jobs.

Conclusion: If you don't string for yourself and durability is a priority, then this is your setup. Buy some string savers and enjoy.

My thinking is this. I'll pay more if I can win more. This setup did not help me do that. I like poly mains better than gut but every player is different.
mikeler is online now   Reply With Quote