View Single Post
Old 03-21-2013, 12:00 PM   #11
TW Professor
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
Thanks Prof, great experiment with very intreguing results, much appreciated!
I'm trying to get my head around how these findings can be reconciled with the increased spin with no concomitant loss of control reported for sub-40 lbs tensions in the "Low, low tensions" thread.

You conclude in this paper:
"The lower tensions and perpendicular stiffness of many polyesters leads to longer dwell times and greater deflection. This keeps the ball on the racquet for a longer arc of the stroke, potentially creating "power" problems with the ball going deeper, wider and higher than desired. The decrease in perpendicular stiffness also contributes to the sensation that the strings get "mushy" or behave like a trampoline. A loss of control is the end result."

Following this line of reasoning, shouldn't we expect to see the same phenomena and resulting loss of control when stringing at very low tensions in the first place? I don't observe this in my own rackets.
fgs is correct above. Strings behave differently depending on how they arrive at a given tension. I have done experiments where I get to and test a string, say at 40 lbs, in several ways. I might test the string freshly strung at 40, or strung to 60 and manually lowered to 40, or strung at 60 and raised to 80 (as if impacted) and then lowered to 40, or by stringing at 60 and repeatedly impacting until I get to 40. All the methods will arrive at different test data for the same 40 lbs. The tension is one thing, but how it gets to that tension is another.
TW Professor is offline   Reply With Quote