View Single Post
Old 03-21-2013, 04:59 PM   #2
BrooklynNY
Hall Of Fame

You are correct. This thread is absolutely hilarious to/for me

My buddy owns a pro shop in Long Island and about 2 yrs ago, I had an obsession with classic tennis and wooden racquets, he gave me a Davis Regency wooden frame and a few others and I had him string it up freshly. I played quite a bit with a wooden frame last summer too. I am a 4.5 but at the time I was still rated 4.0 by the USTA ranking system.

Anyway, I've actually played 2 4.0 singles matches with a wooden racquet. The guys were a bit older than I am so my movement may have helped neutralize the power. I also don't have overly western strokes and I would like to think I have an all court game.

On indoor hard I won 6-3 6-2 and on very dry and sandy har-tru, I won 6-3 5-7 10-5 in the breaker.

The one guy I beat in straights looked at me strangely, and I think it became more of a mental match. We played a tough match and at first it was tough to adjust to the weight of shot difference.

But... Once you get ahead against someone with a wooden racquet, and they realize you can actually play pretty well with it(if you can) it becomes a battle in their mind about between "How the hell can I be losing to a guy with a wooden racquet" and "Why is this *****hole really playing with a wooden racquet in a USTA match".

The other guy was super cool after and said he felt like he was playing Borg (haha) and that he had a Donnay Borg at home but had never thought of hitting with it, we actually went back out on the courts and I let him hit some balls with it.

I can see how someone might take offense to it, If someone showed up to play me with a wooden racquet I'd either be like WTF, or actually be very frightened.

If you play USTA tennis, you know looking at peoples match history is a big part of tennis sometimes, and I still kind of get ****ed(not really, haha) that there isn't an astrisk on on TennisLink next to those 2 singles matches I played to signify that I played with those 2 matches with a woody.

Anyway, this is probably my longest contribution to these forums to date, when I read the thread I had to reply, it's a true and funny story, was a great experience. If anyone in the NYC area wants to play some woody tennis, I have a few perfectly and recently strung frames if you want to hit.

Last edited by BrooklynNY : 03-21-2013 at 05:10 PM.
BrooklynNY is offline   Reply With Quote