View Single Post
Old 03-22-2013, 05:13 AM   #10
anubis
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppet View Post
Isn't it acceptable to use a cheaper multi as a cross? I'm using Hexy Fiber 16, which is supposed to be a fragile full bed. I'm getting good softness and a lot of feel. I'm stringing it 5 lbs. higher than the Cyber Flash 1.25 mains. It goes for only $6.95 per set.
I'm using hexy fiber as well, but not as a cross... in a full bed. I don't recommend it. Yes, it's very soft, but I think it would be terrible as a cross. It's way too rough -- has a lot of string friction. I'm afraid that even the slickest poly mains wouldn't slide well at all.

If you're going for a soft multi cross, you should go with the smoothest one you can find, nothing textured. You want the poly mains to just snap back almost as quickly as they would had you strung full poly.

One of the biggest reasons why poly is so effect with spin is because it returns back to its original position very quickly and without any help from the player. Part of the production of topspin is the string snapping back into place. If this snap back happens while the ball is leaving the string bed, then the strings will put even more spin on the ball.

but if the mains are locked in place or hindered by a very rough cross, then they wouldn't be doing their "duty" as spin-inducing mains should.
anubis is offline   Reply With Quote