View Single Post
Old 03-22-2013, 10:48 AM   #6
blakesq
Professional

if he was a 2.5, he probably isn't very experienced, and doesn't know correct warm up etiquette. too bad you didn't want to explain it to him, or simply ask that he hit the ball to you so you could warm up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roddick85 View Post
Does it ever happen that you play somebody new and that person doesn't know how to properly warm-up? I was at my club last week, attending the singles league and they're was this new guy that showed for the first time, he looked like someone that has been playing tennis for a while, however he was probably a 2.5, maybe 3.0 at best on a good day, but that doesn't really matter.

When I started to warm-up with that guy, the only shot he could hit was drop shots that would fall maybe 1 or 2 feet in front of the net, when i'm standing at the baseline... After a few times I thought OK i'm just going to stand closer to the service line and try to rally, but then he started to hit angles to pass me. I tried to talk to him a bit, but the guy wouldn't even respond and had that kinda arrogant look. I ended up changing warm up partners and he played with the lesser skilled players, but still i'm puzzled to see people act like that.
We have a competitive league, weakest players are 3.5 and strongest solid 5.0, so usually people know proper etiquette for warming up.

I think people who play tennis generally know that when your warming up, you try to keep the ball in the center and not go for big angles and you try to keep the ball deep enough. Then you warm up volleys/smashes and then a few serves, what you see on TV basically. The whole idea is just to warm-up your muscles, not tire yourself out before even starting, but it seems some people have completely missed that.

Ever had something similar happen to you?
blakesq is offline   Reply With Quote