View Single Post
Old 03-23-2013, 01:30 PM   #1
andyaycw
New User

Default Line calls really do get closer when it comes to playoffs..

Second season for me in USTA league, first time advancing to playoffs. Could this situation have been handled better and what do you think of our opponents?

Doubles league match, I am playing the Deuce side. Down 0-1 in the first set, opponent hits a 1st serve out wide which I call out. He takes a 2nd serve. Very next point, opponent's serve looks long, but too close to call as I figure it may have hit the very, very back of the line. I call the serve good, play continues.

Few games later: we are now up 2-1. Opponent hits a ball in the very corner of the Ad court. My partner calls it out (looks out to me as well...but IF it were in, it may have clipped the outside edge of the line). Opponent protests saying it was inside the line, and says it is the second bad call (references the first serve out wide which I called out). They request a referee. We win the next point and I shout "come on!". Okay, my bad probably shouldn't have done that as it just upset our opponents even more, says something like is that a smart remark? I ignore and keep my mouth shut the rest of the match.

We won the match 2 and 1, and afterwards I thanked our opponents for calling a referee because we wanted a fair match as well.

Who was in the right, who was in the wrong? I am surprised our opponents called a referee as there were probably 4 close shots leading up to that 4th game, two of which we called good, and two called out. Did they really think we were trying to intentionally hook them on calls with that track record, especially so early on in the match on relatively unimportant points?

Since returning to tennis (somewhat) competitively, I have played close to 15 league matches, and I can't even remember being questioned on any line calls leading up to this match.

Thoughts? It's a shame really...it takes away the feeling of this win, no matter how legitimate it was.
andyaycw is offline   Reply With Quote