View Single Post
Old 03-24-2013, 10:56 AM   #261
BobbyOne
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by abmk View Post
yes, you did say federer has a touch weakness ......why else do you think I wrote what is in my signature ? why else do you think so many were ridiculing you about your comment about federer's touch ? do you want me to dig up that post ?

federer is a power baseliner , with all-courter tendencies , who has excellent touch and shows it much more than most in the open era ........of course he uses his power game more as it is more effective in the modern era ....

you are making the mistake of comparing with years prior to 1970, simiarly as you were doing when you were talking about peak/prime years of the players ......the game was clearly more touch based then ....

coming back to the federer BH, how is then that in a baseline-oriented era, he gets 17 majors ( all in full fields ) and 6 year ending championships then ?

fact is he has a pretty good backhand , but it can be a relative weakness ..... just like rosewall had a pretty good forehand, but it could be a relative weakness ....

krosero already mentioned this and showcased instances, didn't he ?

I'm not talking about a few exceptions here and there .... yes, I do know laver used quite a bit of topspin ... I'm talking about the shift as a whole ...across the tour ....

it was a step up in early to mid 70s with borg, vilas, solomon, dibbs, connors ( not topspin, power) etc ....
another step up with arrival of graphite in mid 80s
another step up with the arrival of poly in early 2000s
Rosewall also beat Solomon and Dibbs...

He defeated Solomon 6-2,6-1 when being 41. He defeated Dibbs 6-2,6-2 when already 42. He even won a set from Dibbs 6-0 when being 43 and Dibbs the No.4 player in the world...

Last edited by BobbyOne : 03-24-2013 at 11:06 AM.
BobbyOne is offline   Reply With Quote