View Single Post
Old 03-25-2013, 07:27 AM   #18
tennis tom
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbarrow View Post
This is what I learned as proper etiquette for the USTA 10 minute tournament warm-up time:

Flip coin or racket spin first and determine side/serve.
~2 mins short court groundies (let ball bounce, not volleys)
~5-6 mins full court groundies, middle court and cross court
~1 min each at net volley/options (ask for overheads etc)
~2-3 mins serve to each other 3 balls at a time, catch balls unless you ask to return.

Does this sound about right?
Sorry but NO. Where did you learn this? You can do this at the club--you can do anything at the club. The reason the ladies at the club warm-up close to the net is so they can catch-up on the latest gossip and the "men" are now emulating this for a little insider trading. Turn on the Tennis Channel and watch Serena and Sharapova warming-up--you will NEVER see them doing mini tennis up at the net.

If you ever do that at a tournament you will be giving away a big factor to your opponent before the match starts. He will say to himself, "This guy doesn't event know the proper routine for the warm-up--what else doesn't he know?" You've given your opponent a huge boost in confidence and you haven't even started keeping score yet.

The below by Amorris, is the correct warm-up procedure. You have 10 minutes, 7 minutes or 5 five minutes, depending on time and court constraints. The roving referee will warn you when it's two minutes and time to take serves. The warm-up is a time to observe your opponent's strokes and discover weaknesses and strengths, as well as a last minute calibration for your own shots. It also gives the thousands of fans pouring in to watch your match a chance to sit-down, settle in, and see and be seen by their admirers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amorris525 View Post
Well you listed a minimum of 11 minutes of warm up time, so no.

I rarely see a short court warm ups at tournaments. Generally 3-4 minutes full court groundies. 2 minutes each or so at net. 2 minutes for serves. You are right about catching the balls. Unless it's near the end of the serve warm-up, I can't stand when someone returns my warm-up serves because then I don't know whether to keep serving or hit them back.