View Single Post
Old 03-26-2013, 08:15 PM   #58
TheLambsheadrep
Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by toly View Post
Sorry, I didn’t recognize you were talking about wrist extension.
IMO, in case of FH, the wrist extension/flexion are poison motions, because they just can open or close a racquet face. The wrist extension/flexion should be locked around contact. See also post #180 http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showt...=395364&page=9
OK, this link works fine. I completely understand and agree with post 180. I now see why you would think they are poison motions, but only around contact. If you look at pictures of pictures of Nadal, Federer, and Novak's forehands at contact, they all have their wrist in essentially the same position (same position from post 180, where fexation/extension would move the wrist up/down, not side/side). So 3 different grips pretty much have the same contact position, and if you look at their slow motion video, they all exhibit wrist extension at the beginning of the forward swing. If I did not make it clear WHEN I thought extension was occurring, that was my fault, and to be honest, I'm still learning the tiny details as I go haha. This is the whip aspect of the SSC, and again, it happens with all those grips (E, SW, W, plus pistol and hammer) and with both a double bend or straight arm forehand.

So here are the edited photos with the x, y, and z axes on them. What I was describing in post 51 can pretty much be summarized as the racquet being parallel with the ground and perpendicular with the long axis of your arm (for maximum beta angle). In this case, the ground is the x axis and being perp. with the arm is the z axis. These 3 pictures and toly's picture of Fish all have very high beta angles. toly's picture of verdasco has a very low beta angle. With this being my definition of beta angle for the forehand, plus what I mentioned above about all the many different grip combinations leading to essentially the same position at contact, I hope you can see why I'm not 100% sold on it being said that a high beta angle can not be achieved by both the pistol and hammer grip. That, and saying the hammer grip will naturally produce more topspin than the pistol (Besides using Nadal as evidence (which, by definition, one person isn't really evidence)). I just don't see how it could be in terms of angles at contact. I may understand an argument that an increase in topspin is coming from how the hammer grip effects parts of the back and forward swing, since I do feel a difference with them when tinkering with the hammer grip. Or an argument that since the hammer grip naturally starts more perpendicular to your arm, that may give more room for error (since the forearm and racquet are perpendicular at contact anyway), but again, all grip combos tend to make contact about the same on a standard shot.

Last edited by TheLambsheadrep : 03-26-2013 at 10:10 PM.
TheLambsheadrep is offline   Reply With Quote