View Single Post
Old 03-27-2013, 02:39 AM   #15
spaceman_spiff
Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by HughJars View Post
I play with my mate twice a week. We have long 5 set games, and Id have to say the wins are well and truly in his favour. Hes a massive pusher, but starting to develop an attacking game. He also has a strong return of serve game. Basically he plays a war of attrition, waiting for the unforced error.

The problem is, I ask him if he's keen to just have a hit around and work on some key errors, like second serves which Im struggling in, and his non existant one handed backhand. But he just wants to play games.

I feel its kind of becoming detrimental to both of our development. While we're both making some good improvements, bad habits and recurring mistakes frequently pop up.

I just want to practice!!!! But dont want to lose my hitting partner...I dont really know anyone else who would want a hit very often. My goal is to start playing pennants tennis soon but there is only so much a wall or an empty court can give help me with some areas of my game!
If you want to work on your second serve, then just hit nothing but second serves the next time you play your buddy. If you want him to fix his backhand, then hit everything to the backhand and rush the net (eventually, he'll be forced to recognize his weakness).

Just because you're playing sets, it doesn't mean you can't work on stuff. You just have to focus on the things you want to work on and ignore the score.