View Single Post
Old 03-27-2013, 05:59 AM   #30
Flash O'Groove
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinovic View Post
I think this is all part of the process. He's learning now that he has the game to go toe-to-toe with the best players in the world. Now it is a matter of getting over that last, and possibly most difficult, hump, which is learning how to win the big points and seal the deal. The first part is believing you can play with and get the better of them...he should be there or close in that regard.

The other thing is consistency. Being ready to compete and grind on a daily basis no matter who you're playing. It's easy to get up to play Andy Murray, but you also have to be ready to beat Bjorn Phau and Ivan Dodig in every tournament.

I think Dimitrov is on a pretty good career arc and should make some big strides this year since he'll be able to play a full tour schedule and play all the big tournaments. I would like to see what he could do if he could knock off one or two of the top guys and win a big tournament.

Of course, it is also crucial, I believe, to get over that mental hurdle at some point before it becomes an Almagro thing. Certainly it is not unexpected and a part of the process, but if it happens too many times and lingers too long, then it becomes such a hurdle he may never get over it....unless Ivan Lendl switches clients.
I agree. I also think that he has the opportunity now to get confidence. If he wait to long before finally beating a top guy, they might figure hot to play him and damn him to be Almagro
Flash O'Groove is offline   Reply With Quote