View Single Post
Old 03-29-2013, 05:43 AM   #1160
borg number one
Legend

I agree Xavier G that they're all fine judges, no doubt about it. Among them, Lance Tingay of the London Daily Telegraph, Joe McCauley of Tennis Australia, Bud Collins and John Barrett gave Borg the nod for 1977 though. For 1976, Connors has the edge in terms of total titles and the head to head, including his win over Borg at the US Open, but Borg does have two big titles to one for Connors. My central point is that if one factors in the head to head records in 1976, the same must be done in 1977 to be consistent in the analysis. Regardless, I think we can agree that most writers/experts gave Connors the nod in 1976 and Borg the top spot in 1977, despite the ATP computer rankings. The ATP rankings did not properly consider all the important events. The Player of the Year honors from the ATP likely reflected the realization that the computer rankings just did not tell the full story. The year 1977 looks at least as close as 1970-1973 with Newcombe, Rosewall, and co.