View Single Post
Old 03-29-2013, 06:50 AM   #101
corners
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by toly View Post
So, Brian Gordon agreed that the wrist orientation is crucial for directional control. Important question here is in what particular moment pros change position of the wrist to provide proper racquet orientation?
Yeah, that's the big question.

Quote:
It seems pros keep the wrist in bend back position before last moment of the contact and then racquet should travel for example 45. Hence, they have to move the racquet very fast. But, fast motion means high speed of the racquet. Thus, we conclude: Fast wrist alignment = fast racquet speed = power = powerful FH. The wrist could be the main source of the powerful FH. We cannot separate fast wrist alignment from power. They are inseparable entities.
According to my calculation the wrist can contribute 80% to the RHS.
I disagree about wrist being the main source of power. Perhaps my understanding is incorrect, but I believe that rotation about the wrist joint is large passive - the elbow slows down and the racquet, being possessed of potential energy, then accelerates around the wrist/forearm axis. The racquet rotates the wrist in other words, although fine adjustments could be made by wrist muscles if necessary. The timing of this proximal deceleration could then determine the orientation of the racquet face at contact, and thus the direction of the shot. If the deceleration begins slightly earlier, the shot will go cross-court; if the deceleration begins slightly later, the shot will go DTL or inside-out. How many milliseconds from initiation of elbow deceleration to impact?

It would seem that the cross-court timing would lead to greater racquet-head speed at impact due to longer period of acceleration.

Also Toly, what do you think about the possibility that the racquet is rotating the forearm into pronation, as per the "Tennis Racquet Theorem," rather than the other way around?
corners is offline   Reply With Quote