View Single Post
Old 03-29-2013, 06:56 AM   #20
HunterST
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomT View Post
I bet if you were more warmed up, and hit a few more serves, then the numbers would be higher.

What's your NTRP? If you're forcing errors and it's good enough to get comments from your opponents, then no worries. You must be doing something right.

Anyway, serve speed measurements, especially non-professional ones, are very 'iffy'.

I don't think that's true. I've seen some women's second serves clocked, in tournaments, in the low 60s. First serves, in the 70s. Which is significantly slower than even my average serve, first or second ... and I'm a 3.0 level player.

I suspect that your serve is actually quite a good one. Post some videos.
Thanks for the vote of confidence! I guess I don't pay too much attention to wta serve speeds, so I feel better if they're getting firsts in the 70s.

Here's a video from 2 years ago when I was hitting in the 80s. Thought I had improved significantly, but the numbers are the same!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afIY9QeYnWM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psv255 View Post
To be fair, receiving an 85+ mph serve, if placed within a foot or two of each line, is not easy to return for most 4.0- players.

Is your radar the SpeedTrac? In that case, you can safely add another 5% to each serve clocked, as it measures the speed of the ball as it approaches the device rather than right at contact. Doesn't change much, but the difference gets larger as you serve faster.

Speed will come from proper timing; personally, I instantly lose 20 mph on my flats if I lose my rhythm. Keep at it.
Thanks for the reply! Yeah, it's a speedtrac. I've heard that it gives a little lower reading, so that helps. Serves in the 90s don't sound as bad.

I definitely agree with the timing thing. Sometimes with the radar I'm so focused on hitting hard I get tense and out of rhythm.
HunterST is offline   Reply With Quote