View Single Post
Old 03-29-2013, 10:54 AM   #2
Jonny S&V
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkpr View Post
Greetings.

I recently had a trainer write me up a basic program to follow when I'm at the gym 3 times a week. He asked what my goals were to which I answered:
  1. Increase stamina on the tennis court. My muscles seem to fatigue sharply after 1.5 hours or so and my strokes get sloppy.
  2. Lose ~30lbs (i'm 6'3", 230lbs at the moment)
  3. Become more flexible (be able to touch my toes for the first time ever)

He's written me up a series of exercises concentrating on arms, chest, back, and legs, which go something like:
Exercise A (e.g. lat pull down): 3 sets of 10 reps @ 60% max level*, 2 sets of 8 reps @ 70%, 1 set of 6 reps @ 90%.

The other exercises are similar with X sets of Y reps @ 60%, 70%, 80%, and 90% max level (max level being the weight I can do ONE pull down with.) There is also stretching before and after, as well as 1015 minutes on the treadmill at a speedy but comfortable pace of 7.58mph.

My question to the people in the know is: is this the right way to go about increasing muscle stamina? I don't know much about gym work so I'm probably wrong, but I feel this sort of workout is aimed at making me 'bigger' vs stronger or stamina-er.

Thanks in advance!
I'm not one for the training side of kinesiology (biomechanics and I were made for each other), but from my limited experience, the only problem I see from the program he gave you is that it's completely up to your drive to improve. Other than that, I don't feel overly comfortable making specific points, so I'll differ to those with far more experience than I.