View Single Post
Old 03-29-2013, 04:32 PM   #137
neil1b
Rookie

Tennis experience/background:
I am a 3.5-4.0 mainly singles player. I have been playing since high school, took a link break and picked it back up in my late 30's. I am a big guy at 6'5 265lbs, but can still move pretty well.

Describe your playing style (i.e. serve & volley):
I Anna baseline player that likes to construct a quick point. I hit heavy balls with a fair amount of spin. I have a big flat serve and one handed backhand.

Current shoe:

My current shoe of choice is Nike Vapor 9's

How many hours did you play with the shoe?

I played about 30 hours in this shoe on hard courts in a warm climate.

Comments on shoe performance:

-comfort: comfort was good, but the shoe is not wide enough through the middle and in the toe box area. I like a snug fit, but this was borderline pain.

-arch support: arch support is a tad higher than I like. I have flat feet and the arch in the babolats made the fit a bit harsh.

-stability/support:
I think this is where this shoe shined. These things are rock solid for a baseline player like myself. The positive lock heel is a dream and the shoe held up with all my weight moving around. The in soles were very comfortable for the shape and the uppers did not cause any blistering.

-ventilation: ventilation was extremely good in this warm climate. My feet were not as wet at the end of the day compared to my vapors.

-sole durability: this is a weak spot as the shoes soles wore through pretty quick on the hard court especially toward the toes. I won't get much more than another month out of them.

-toe durability: as stated above bad durability on the sole, but the toe upper also began to wear quickly as I drag the toe on backhands.

-traction:
Traction was just fair. I think the vapors are better, but there held up OK. A little slippery on quick changes of directions.

-weight: all my shoes in a size 14 seem heavy, but on average with my others.

General reaction/comments on overall performance: I think overall they are decent,but not my cup of tea. For a bigger flat footed guy, the vapors and new balance are far superior. These ran a bit snug to size as well.

Thanks for the chance to play test, but I will not buy another pair.

Neil1b