View Single Post
Old 03-31-2013, 02:00 PM   #23
fluffyyelloballz
Rookie

I think when we discuss GOATS we have to bear in mind the eras they played and the different technologies, playing conditions and depth.
Serena is by far and away the greatest player of not just an era but beyond that, covering as her dominant periods do, two eras. From her dominant period of 2002-2003, only Venus remains on tour. Her current period of being number one has not proved to be so dominant but she is nevertheless the woman to beat and holds more of the big titles of the past twelve months than any other player and comfortably leads her rivals, aged 23 and 25, in head to heads.
There is also no doubt in my mind that there is more depth in tennis now in the early rounds of tournaments than ever. Improved technology and developments in sports science means the women are more athletic, hit harder and are fitter. And so Serena is more liable to be beaten in earlier rounds by a player such as Makarova or Razzano than her GOAT rivals. However, I am loathe to say that Serena's competition has been that much better than Graf for example. I consider Seles, Navratilova, Sabatini, Sanchez and Novotna as equally great competition as Venus, Henin, Clisters, Sharapova, Davenport and Capriati, the latter two being Graf's opposition, too.
So I can see why, taking into account greater depth affecting Serena's overall tournament wins, plus her longevity, Serena could be seen as the GOAT. Nevertheless, it is not an argument I agree with.

Last edited by fluffyyelloballz : 03-31-2013 at 02:05 PM.
fluffyyelloballz is offline   Reply With Quote