View Single Post
Old 04-02-2013, 08:43 AM   #58
beernutz
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbarrow View Post
You look to be in very good shape, how old are you? Can you share an example of your low carb meals and calorie planning for a tournament weekend? Supposing you have match on Thu night and you do well and play another on Friday and then two matches Saturday, one at 8 am and another at 2 pm. How would you eat?
I'm 54. For breakfast I normally eat something I call pizza quiche which is basically a baked casserole of eggs and cheese with cream and hot Rotel/pizza sauce and spices along with a cup of coffee with coconut oil and heavy whipping cream added. I really don't have a problem eating the same thing most days for breakfast. Before I went low carb, I ate this Kellogs cereal called Just Right Fruit and Nut almost every day for well over a decade.

For low carb I generally try to get 10-20% of my calories from carbs primarily vegetables along with a little fruit and some nuts although I probably get more than I realize from beer. I try to get 60-65% of calories from fat and 20-25% from protein. Those numbers are my goals but I do stray sometimes like for instance last night when my wife surprised me with some Trader Joe's chocolate-dipped, pistachio-covered toffee as a gift. I'm not perfect but I generally stay in those ranges or close to them.

I try to eat fish particularly salmon at least twice a week which is nice because my wife makes great salmon dishes and everybody else likes them too. I also eat a good bit of baked chicken and other meat I cook on my big steel keg though I'm not adverse to BBQ pork or beef. I don't want my diet to affect the rest of the family so I'll eat whatever is cooked and just avoid things.

I also eat eggs cooked in a variety of ways for breakfast if I'm out of quiche. Lunch, if I eat it, is some combination of meat and vegetables and the same with dinner. I rarely eat bread and avoid potatoes and most other starches though I'll sometimes eat rice. I wouldn't eat any differently if I was playing a tournament than I would otherwise.

That is what I've found works for me. I've been doing it since March of 2011 and I feel great. My recent bloodwork was all good. However, everybody has to find what works for them. Low carb is not a quick fix but a lifestyle change which you commit to for as long as you want to keep the weight off. If I had a nickel for every doofus I've heard say 'low carb doesn't work because as soon as I started eating carbs again I gained all my weight back' my butler Alfred would be the one typing this reply for me. A low carb diet is NOT for everybody. I repeat, it is not for everybody but then again I don't believe there is a one-size-fits-all diet that is. Good luck finding what works for you. It only took me 52 years.