View Single Post
Old 04-03-2013, 07:21 AM   #61
beernutz
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeback View Post
Hey Beernutz, you look great man, and at least 20 years younger..Like Pbarrow i am a new convert 27 days with no grain, no sugar..I have many of the same results but am giving it 6 weeks to send pictures and a full report. As far a pbarrow's question on what to eat during match times and days..So far my favorites are hearty vegetable soups..I carry nuts and raisens/fruit if i need it for energy..My wife makes these great banana/coconut muffins and pumpkin pies to help..It's taken me a little while to get used to the feeling of burning fat when playing instead of the hyper feeling of being on grainy sugar carb bars that i used to eat all the time..Yes it's an adjustment but so far so good..I love reading the stories of my fellow grain/sugar free comrades.It validates my feelings and motivates me to keep going
Thanks comeback. Good luck with your quest. The first part of the transition was the hardest for me but after a while it became second nature.

My worst problem is I have teenagers who eat carby crunchy snacks (Oreos, cheezits, wheat thins, etc.) which, when the girls are not eating them, sit tantalizingly in our pantry, calling out to me. My kids are very active in sports and can eat that stuff all day long with their furnace-like metabolisms and not gain an ounce, but my love handles bulge if I just glance at them. We compromise by keeping them sort of boxed away in the pantry.

My wife has been a great supporter too so that for example when she makes her delicious crawfish pies, she'll make some without the pie crust which if you ask me are just as good. I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything. So again, good luck and I hope this works out for you like it has for me.

There are some examples of low carb athletes such as this one:

http://www.meandmydiabetes.com/2012/...f-volek-study/

Western States 100 - Low Carber Wins Ultramarathon - Steve Phinney and Jeff Volek Study

Earlier this summer, Steve Phinney and Jeff Volek, authors of The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance, headed to the Western States 100-mile Endurance Run, to study how runners in this grueling race fared, literally, for they were checking how the athletes performed, AND how they ate. Steve Phinney says that more and more endurance athletes are choosing low-carb, high-fat. They're choosing this diet both to get over digestive problems that hit in such a demanding event, and to win the race, and win it BIG! That's what Tim Olson did this year. A self-proclaimed low-carb eater, Tim won the race - with a record-breaking pace. - Shelley

I know ultramarathoning is different than tennis but I can also point out that a certain #1 ATP player in the world is also a gluten free eater. I am not claiming joker is low carb by any means but giving up bread doesn't seem to have done his tennis game any harm.