View Single Post
Old 04-03-2013, 01:36 PM   #13
diredesire
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to diredesire

Quote:
Originally Posted by beernutz View Post
How precisely can you control the tensions of the mains and crosses when they are different when using one piece stringing? It seems there would be some slippage around the friction point where you transition from mains to crosses causing the higher tension string to go down slightly and the lower tension string to go up slightly.
Proportional stringing has tension differentials of large magnitudes from string to string, and experiments have shown to string movement around the friction points. It's an experiment you can try yourself at home, actually. I can't say for certain what the max delta is, but I'm confident you could hold a >10 lb differential around just about any reasonable bend (even more exaggerated on a main to cross transition).

Edit: I should note that the experiments made were: Post stringing, sharpie marks on every string with no movement shown. This isn't "lab grade," by any means, though. It's unfortunately very difficult to find individual tension shift over time -- so we stringers use movement.

Mod Qs/Concerns/etc? E-mail me! (please make return/profile e-mail is valid!)
diredesire is offline   Reply With Quote