View Single Post
Old 04-03-2013, 04:50 PM   #8121
PED
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feņa14 View Post
That Man Utd team of the mid '90's was incredible, with the likes of Scholes, Keane, Schmeichel, Neville, Giggs, Cantona etc.. it's strange to think how it's Beckham who is the one held in such high regard around the world.
I think the difference is that Beckham left and has won Championships (not that the MLS is really a championship but La Liga is) everywhere that he's gone. The rest all flourished at Manchester but never plied their trade elsewhere (later on). How good would Giggs have been in Italy when Inter was looking at him in 2002? Would the Inter manager have used the patient approach that Fergie has to maximize his later years?

He's certainly accomplished much more than say Steven Gerrard ever did at Liverpool.

You just never know when you move abroad to play: Michael Owen anyone? that ultimately is the risk for Bale I think.

I also realize that I'm viewing him from an American perspective.

Most Brits seem to hate him and I can understand that but to me, he's a typical American sports star in his approach to life so he doesn't seem different.

Last edited by PED : 04-03-2013 at 04:52 PM.
PED is offline   Reply With Quote