View Single Post
Old 04-05-2013, 10:48 AM   #22
tennisjon
Semi-Pro

I coach tennis at Drew University in Madison, NJ. It is a D3 school. To give you an idea of D3 players, one of my current players was top 10 in New England last year. About 10 years ago, we played Villanova and lost 5-2 (old scoring system). There is certainly overlap between D1-D3 as we only regionally ranked that year. Players of your ranking can play at any level since there are bad to great schools in each division. Since you lack experience, if tennis is a priority, I would focus on a school that matches your academic needs while having a coach that knows tennis. Being a D1 coach doesn't mean that the coach can teach and/or coach you to improve. I have a friend who has a similar experience level to you and he played his freshman year at Rutgers before they dropped the team. The coach did nothing to teach him how to play and he had very minimal training as a player. It was the wrong fit tennis-wise. Find the right match regardless of division. Just because they are D1 or D2 doesn't mean they will have scholarships. Many schools do not have tryouts for walk-ons at all.