Default Scotus' Extreme Low Tension Volkl V-Torque Playtest

Tension used for playtest
30 lbs

Regular string set up
Babolat VS/Prince Beast

Racquet brand and model used for test
Wilson BLX Five weighted up to 12 oz.

Ease of stringing
The uncoiling of the string was a bit tough. The string was rolled in several different directions, so it took about 5 minutes to straighten everything out. Besides that it was a breeze to string.

Power of test string
Power was excellent. Enough to hit winners off flat serves and groundies yet not excessive as to be beyond control.

Feel
I really like the feel. Soft yet crisp. Not mushy. Not harsh.

Spin
Excellent. To give you a better idea, this had a tad more spin than Solinco Tour Bite 19 and Tour Bite Soft 17.

Comfort
Excellent.

Durability
I always cut out polys long before they break.

Playability Duration (share thoughts on if/how the playability changed over time)
The string played solidly for 3 hitting sessions (total of about 8 hours) and then became unresponsive, dead. I didn't notice much of a change in playability during those 8 hours. There was no break-in period required and it played the same for those 8 hours. If there was any change, it must have been easy enough for me to adapt to it. But when it died, it was done.

Control (predictable trajectory? performance on different strokes and swing speeds?)
Even at the extremely low tension, the trajectory was low enough and very predictable, which I enjoyed very much. Both topspin and slice were easy to produce. I was also able to hit some sick drop shots.

Compare to the string you use most often
I would definitely consider switching to this string. My gut/poly hybrid is great, but if I want to lower tension drastically, the power of gut poses a problem. So recently I have been testing out full polys. Volkl V-Torque is a contender. In my book it beats out the 2 aforementioned Solinco strings.

Tension recommendations (after hitting it, would you recommend a different tension? Why?)
Those who like very low tension should not be afraid to go really low with this one. There is an ample amount of control to be had at low tensions. I suppose it would be very comfortable even at a relatively high tension.

List any final thoughts.
This is a solid string for those who are willing to re-string every few hitting sessions (but that for me includes most polys). You get excellent spin, precise control, great crisp feel and lots of bite with comfort.

Thanks, TW, for including me in the playtest.

Last edited by scotus : 04-07-2013 at 02:39 PM.
scotus is offline   Reply With Quote