View Single Post
Old 04-08-2013, 07:17 AM   #38
SFrazeur
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCF View Post
The market will decide just fine. It has nothing to do with lazy directors. Down here for 2 years now we have had numerous tournaments that offered every possible combinations called ROYG ball tournaments. These tournaments offer red, orange, yellow, green. These were set up voluntarily with no mandates and pushed by the equipment manufacturers. In many cases there are no entrants into half the offerings.

Some areas do go by age mandates. Kids get bored easily with the red and greens. They simply quit tennis and focus on sports they find more fun. I have seen it happen for several years now.

Coaches have always used low compression balls to teach kids. Before they were available, they would use very old balls with little bounce. Small marked courts have also been used for decades. There is nothing new to this except the mandates.

Make no mistake about it, the equipment manufacturers are behind this, it has nothing to do with a better way to develop kids. Good coaches develop good players, lazy coaches develop bad players, no matter the balls used or any mandates.
Tennis Coach FLA,

The reason kids are getting bored with red balls is because pros are not teaching them a game with depth; to use different tactics. A player should not have to wait to learn a slice backhand or to chip and charge until the yellow ball and 78' court.

The different divisions will not make unless pros train kids using those balls. many pros are lazy and will keep doing what they have been doing with the yellow ball. I made that point earlier. You might have missed it. Yes. lazy coaches will develop bad player no matter what. That wasn't my point. Lazy pros will not change unless they are forced.

-SF