View Single Post
Old 04-09-2013, 10:37 AM   #119
TomT
Hall Of Fame

Video of the first two games of today's league match. More videos from today will follow. I'm in the process of editing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iclb5l2iOv0

My opponent today is 26 years old. He had no trouble beating me 6-2 6-1. Very solid stroke mechanics. Said he played lots of tennis when very young and is just getting back into it. He's the best player I've played so far this season.

Before and during our match, I had a few sort of mini-eureka moments. The first had to do with the serve grip. I was experimenting with the continental grip and having some success with it, and I think, with much practice, it will increase the consistency and effectiveness of my serve.

The second had to do with the realization of just how much the mental part of my game is lacking, and reminded me that this is the most important thing that I have to work on to improve.

The third had to do with my racquet. I'm currently using a rather heavy, leaded up granny racquet that's sort of made for power. But I've learned that I don't need that, and in fact it's having a negative effect on my game. My opponent let me use one of his racquets during some rallying after the match with a smaller (string sq. in.) racquet made for control. The difference was like night and day. I felt like I could hit out without overhitting. Balls that would have gone out with my racquet were staying in.