View Single Post
Old 04-09-2013, 05:39 PM   #54
spinovic
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
I'd like to add something else to this discussion...

Players racquets aren't as hard to use as people think and...

Easier tweener type racquets won't be as easy as you think.

Also.... there are no magic rules of thumb here and no black and white solution. Everyone needs to try out different types of racquets to see what they enjoy playing with and what yields the best results.

Most heavier racquets have smaller sweetspots and that also makes them harder to use. They are also generally less powerful. Those 2 things plus the extra weight can lead to more balls not going back over the net.

I have used many different types of racquets over the past 3 years and have played pretty much the same with most of them. I only saw minor differences in the actual on court results. However there were major differences in how they felt TO ME and how much I enjoyed using them.
I have found this to be the biggest difference and factor. Every racquet I've tested has been a good racquet, to be honest. Perhaps the better you become as a player, the more you can tell differences, but for me, it is primarily about feel. From a mental perspective, it has to feel good or I won't enjoy it much.

For example, I prefer racquets a little stiffer because it makes me feel like I'm making more solid contact with the ball. Some prefer softer racquets because they get more touch and feel. (I did enjoy the Radical Pro though, which is softer than my normal racquet.) I also like HL balance and 11-12 oz weight range.

When demoing racquets, the feel, as in weight, balance, etc., is about the only thing you can be sure because the strings and tension can affect various racquets to varying degrees. So, first and foremost, find one that is comfortable to you with regards to weight, balance and stiffness.
spinovic is offline   Reply With Quote