View Single Post
Old 04-09-2013, 08:11 PM   #56
HRB
Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relinquis View Post
could you please elaborate on this?

i would have thought that, if anything, a heavier player's stick would force one to take a full swing at the ball, rather than block or take short swings. also, when serving a players' stick would punish bad form due to it's weight, you'd really need to have a proper swing path and get the racquet moving otherwise the serves won't reach the net or go beyond the baseline at the 2nd bounce... is this not correct?

it seems to me that with a light stick, one can just flick the ball over or have bad form on serve and not notice because the racquet is so light.

i use two sticks. my main one is around 11.5 oz (325 grams, 320ish swing weight estimated) and the other is in the 360-370 gram range 12.7-13 oz depending on how much lead in the head (340-350ish swing weight estimated), both headlight 4.5 and 6.5* head light respectively... i hit almost the same with both sticks, early shoulder turn, full swing starting from slightly below the ball and hit through with a slightly closed face. i do feel that when my form gets lazy, a hitting session with the heavier racquet helps get me back into the groove. I should probably settle closer to 360 grams though. 13 oz is a bit much.

* It's even more headlight at the lower swing weight, with reduced lead in the head (closer to 8 points i think). I will probably settle for the more headlight version.
I'm "stumped" as well by these statements? mainly the one where he says if a 3.5 is using 13oz racquet, with a short swing, he is in his comfort zone...My observation is at 13oz if you short swing you're lucky that ball is clearing the net!

My point was, and still is, in my case..when I turned light racquet users onto 11.5 oz and up they simply HAD TO TAKE A FULL SWING and lo and behold they were floored at the depth and pace they developed. Then they got better...and then 3.5's became 4.0's and beyond.

I certainly don't think heaviest is best...but I've observed the heaviest within reason one can handle usually produces the nicest play. It is truly a fine line...11.5 to me feels like a toy, but that may be heavy as all hell to someone else...on the other hand 13oz to me is a brick and unpleasant..my "wheelhouse" is 11.7-12.5 strung...then gain at 6'1" and over 215 that may equate to 10.7-11.5 to smaller players.

By the way..please stop comparing mere mortals to the practices of Rafa, he is AN ENIGMA...90% of Pro's go heavy...he goes light...he also has techniques and follow through motions that will bring him many slams...BUT rip the shoulders and knees out of 90% of the rest of the populace.

I love Rafa for that..his uniqueness...trust me....but we'll see a style like his once every 30 years.
HRB is offline   Reply With Quote