View Single Post
Old 04-09-2013, 08:11 PM   #252
mightyrick
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatF View Post
Sorry but I disagree. Yes Nadal would develop a better net game and touch. But I think the skills he already has would also be useful in the 60's. Not as effective as they are now ofcourse but still effective. His speed and movement would be excellent in any era wouldn't you agree? Would that not aid him in his success.
Of course speed and movement would have helped. But not as much as in today's game. Players in Laver's era aren't hitting 105mph winners. They aren't hitting with 3000rpm of topspin. It wasn't a completely baseline game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatF View Post
Likewise I'm often told by those in the Former Greats section that many older players did hit with topspin. Now why is it wrong for me to say that Nadal would still generate some topspin even with an older raquet?
Of course Nadal would create topspin. But he isn't creating Year 2009 Nadal Topspin. He would be creating topspin at the level of those players in that era.

In that era, Nadal's topspin would be far less. But he would be more developed in other areas -- serve, S&V, net and volley.
mightyrick is offline   Reply With Quote