View Single Post
Old 04-10-2013, 09:07 PM   #48
sstchur
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by diredesire View Post
Those clamps are very capable of moving very smoothly, they just get sticky pretty rapidly. The bases are AWESOME though, really nice locking action.

As far as the gamma, I've had one SUPER problematic clamp since I got my 5800. Recently I tried some wax on the turn table which was a huge mistake -- the tracks gummed up a lot and I cleaned it thoroughly with rubbing alcohol, no lube, and then somehow the clamps started gliding extremely smoothly... I'm not sure what happened, tbh. I unscrewed (and leave unscrewed) the two hex cap bolts on the bottom holding the plastic retaining block for the clamps. I can just slide out the plastic retaining block at my leisure now. This is convenient for upkeep and cleaning, but probably not necessary
This is funny because I went through a very similar process. I even tried wax at one point and determined it was a mistake.

And I actually do the same as you -- I leave the bolts removed from the retaining blocks so I can slide them out whenever I want.

In fact, I just got done clearning everything down with rubbing alcohol, and then I sprayed a rag w/ some silicone spray and applied it to the track. I'll give it a try tomorrow probably.
sstchur is offline   Reply With Quote