View Single Post
Old 04-11-2013, 05:11 PM   #147
Cheetah
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Player View Post
Does Oscar still post here?

I do believe in what he is saying on the forehand, but I think there is a caveat.

You have to be able to hit through the ball before you can really get the to the point of coming across. Coming across is the next level of power IMO.

I warmed up tonight and just hit through the ball..I hit with topspin even coming through the ball so it is a nice rally ball. Decided to take it up a notch and start swinging harder and coming across.

Now and then I have a "trick shot" in which I take a high ball and wipe across it as hard as I can from 3 to 9. If you do it now then, it screws the opponent because the bounce is very aggressive to the side. Anyway, I did that a few times just to get in the mode of swinging out and then I start swinging out a little more and coming across the ball.

Realized I had done this before, but never consciously thought about it. It does work in situations where you need a heavier rally ball and pace is coming at you. It works really well.

If you are playing at a 4.0 level on groundies you can probably play an entire match and not need to utlize this.

But if you need to turn up the pace another notch, I found this technique produces a really heavy ball that is tough to attack.

It also takes some serious practice as well so if you want to do it well, prepare to hit the ball machine and call your best hitting partners.
i know this shot. i do it a few times every session. I don't think it produces what I'd call a heavy ball though. It gives some curve, a nice bounce and I'd say 'average' pace. not enough pace to be called heavy really. but i know exactly what you're talking about. high ball, 3 to 9, swing very fast. it's a fun shot. I just do it when it's been an extended rally and i want to change pace, make the opponent have to think about the bounce, and to get an extra second sec or 2 to restart the rally.