View Single Post
Old 04-12-2013, 10:18 AM   #27
AC Tennis
Rookie

Default V-Torque review

For background: 47 year old 4.5 all court player, 1hbh, playing with Yonex RDiS 300 and RD Ti 80

Tension used for playtest
55 lbs

Regular string set up
Beast XP 17g

Racquet brand and model used for test
Yonex RD Ti 80

Ease of stringing
Eventhough this was a textured poly, stringing was easy. Some coil memory, but nothing that prevented easy stringing. Weaving the crosses was easy too. I usually expect some difficulty with shaped polys, but no problem with the V-torque

Power of test string
Power was good. I could put the ball away when I wanted without much effort.

Feel
For a shaped co-poly, I thought the feel was excellent. As another playtester said, Soft yet crisp. Not mushy. Not harsh. I could dropshot and angle well with this string. It also gripped the ball well due to the shape of the strings.

Spin
Pretty good. As mentioned above, the string grabs the ball well and imparts good spin. I still get better spin from Beast XP, as I think the ball stays on the strings a bit longer. The V-torque grabs the ball better but the ball feels like it leaves the string bed sooner. Could just be subjective feel, but that's what it felt like to me.

Comfort
Comfort was excellent. No arm problems and the crisp yet soft feel was nice.

Durability
Seemed ok after about 8hours of play. I never break poly so will cut it out when they go dead, but so far so good.

Playability Duration (share thoughts on if/how the playability changed over time)
Again, so far so good. The strings dropped a little tension after the first hour or two, but has been consistent since them.

Control (predictable trajectory? performance on different strokes and swing speeds?)
Control was also very good. I could excellerate and hit nice spinning groung strokes yet still decellerate for touch shots and still get feedback from the strings. With stiff polys, fast shots are good, but touch shots suck. This string allows both well.

Compare to the string you use most often
It is similar to the Beast XP. A little less power and spin, comparable feel, more ball bite and crisper feel.

Tension recommendations (after hitting it, would you recommend a different tension? Why?)
I would probably drop the tension a couple lbs (from 55 to 53) to get a little more power.

List any final thoughts.
Very good string with good power, feel and spin and a crisp response. I still like Beast XP better, but this string is about $5 cheeper, so a definate option for me!
AC Tennis is offline   Reply With Quote