View Single Post
Old 04-15-2013, 10:56 PM   #32
LanEvo
Hall Of Fame

Send a message via AIM to LanEvo Send a message via Yahoo to LanEvo

Tension used for playtest: 50/52

Regular string set up: Kirschbaum Super Smash 50/52

Racquet brand and model used for test: Babolat Pure Storm Ltd. GT 2009

Power of test string: This string is in the mid-power range I would say, more power than my normal setup. I found it easier to generate power on my shots, which allowed me to really swing through the ball.

Feel: Definitely a nice feeling string, much more softer and more cushioned than my normal setup, almost perfect in my opinion, but just not enough crispness as compared to Super Smash, I guess you could say this string is like a pancake when the Super Smash is like a waffle, a bit harder, but both tastes good (bad analogy? hopefully you get the picture).

Spin: What can I say, I get very good spin with this string, definitely way about average, spin came very easy for shots, I would say due to the shape of the string, like 3 tubes stuck on together to make a triangular shaped poly but round at every side.

Comfort: Of all the polys I have ever tried, for some reason, this is the softest I have ever used, and I mean this in a best way. I found it very soft right off the stringer and as the tension dropped even more, it got even softer which allowed for very nice ball pocketing.

Durability: I have about 8 hours or so on the racquet now, and the strings are still in place, with minimal tension loss from what I can tell.

Playability Duration (share thoughts on if/how the playability changed over time): Overtime, as the string started to drop in power, I would the stirng to get softer which led to more ball pocketing, but playability and touch, with power and all stayed the same, I did not notice any big changes even as the tension dropped.

Control (predictable trajectory? performance on different strokes and swing speeds?): I found control to be good, great if you were to hit with spin. But in hitting straight shots where you swing across the body, that is a weakness, I dont know if it was the texture of it or what, but I found myself not able to hit finishing flat shots down the long, I have to swing up on the ball to get spin on it for that to work out.

Compare to the string you use most often: Compared to the Super Smash I usually use, this string is much softer, has more power and generates more spin. Overall I find this better than my normal setup, although the category this string loses in is crispness, because of the softness, many times when I swing through it feels like I am hitting butter, and I do not get that crisp feel compared to the Super Smash off of a very nice volley, smash, or hard forehand down the line.

Tension recommendations (after hitting it, would you recommend a different tension? Why?): I would definitely recommend something around 50, it offered me the best of everything in all categories. Anything hard may make it too stiff, and any thing too low would make it overly soft.

List any final thoughts.: Without a doubt, I guess I should say, I will be switching to this string for the foreseeable future. I find this an improvement over the Super Smash and any shaped poly I have used in the past. The string is not as crisp as strings that I have used in the past, but I adjusted easily to the difference.

Last edited by LanEvo : 04-17-2013 at 01:38 PM.
LanEvo is offline   Reply With Quote