View Single Post
Old 04-20-2013, 01:43 PM   #45
fluffyyelloballz
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARFED View Post
Probably the most difficult period to do so was in the 90`s. The most polarized period taking into account surfaces and racquet technology. Today it is a bit easier than the 90`s, but about on the same level as the 60`s and early 70`s.

My point is that if the surface speed hadn`t changed in recent years at Wimbledon and USO especially, it would be almost impossible to stop an on fire big server/ball basher like Delpo or Berdych and we would be seeing players like Tsonga develop much better aproach and net games too. Imo Fed would be the only one of the current crop to be able to handle that kind of ball speed and court pressure, (in this sense i find his game much similar to Agassi`s, taking the ball early and taking time away to their opponents combined with sharp laser passing shots and amazing return skills) and even he would struggle a lot. And when we get to the slow clay of RG, and i mean really slow like it was in the 90`s, it would be mission impossible to cope with a heavie top spinner like Nadal.

This.
Homogenization means now we have 2 active ATP players with career slams and one who was a match away. A career slam is on the way surely for the next 'great'?
90s was when the surfaces were authentic. Who was making career slams of Connors, McEnroe, Lendl, Edberg, Becker, Sampras? Only one, Agassi, arguably the most talented of the lot of them. And it took him one hell of an effort to achieve it.