View Single Post
Old 04-22-2013, 07:40 AM   #5
greystar403
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by goran_ace View Post
Hmm, if you've only been playing for a month or two I'd say don't worry about it, it'll come back to you like riding a bike, but you've been back for a year and a half and can't put together a consistent level of tennis.

You have to be able to figure out what you're doing wrong. Are you not playing often enough, is it a physical fitness issue, or is a technical issue? If you're playing at least once a week and say you are in decent shape then it may be a technical issue and it'll help to work with a coach. If you're 46 and quit playing the first time at 16, that places the end of your junior tennis days in 1983 (they had Head Prestiges back then?) so you probably have classic strokes and might benefit from learning more modern strokes and tactics if you plan on competing.
I agree. The game has changed DRAMATICALLY over the past several decades.

I was watching my coach teach an older gentleman things that were new to him. I think it was a continental grip on a serve... After a few mishits, he complained to my coach that he wasn't getting the results and continued to pancake his serve. He's paying for the lesson so my coach really couldn't say much.

To wrap this story up, the gentleman was very close minded and did not want changes in his game because he wasn't seeing results. (Plus he dictates whether my coach gets a lesson fee or not)

I would take the lesson. Another set of eyes is good to have, especially experienced ones. Remember to be open minded though. Although changes don't come instantly, it might be for the best. If you feel it is something weird, ask him politely to explain in detail why he is having you change something.
greystar403 is offline   Reply With Quote