View Single Post
Old 04-26-2013, 09:28 AM   #19
T1000
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkpr View Post
1. Do you mean 500 cal under my 'normal' daily average?
2. Can you please explain MWF, and which are the 'compound' lifts?
3. I'm playing tennis on most off days, either a league match, hitting/tie breakers with a friend for 1.5hrs, practising against a wall, or serves. Do you suggest I trade one or two of those for running/cycling as it's more of a sustained heart rate?

Thanks for your comments so far.
1. Find how many calories you need to maintain your current weight
Subtract 500 from that and aim to eat that many cals, then find your fat/carb/protein needs

2. MWF means Monday Wednesday Friday, or lift on three non consecutive days during the weeks (So something like Tues, Thurs, and Sun would work) The compound lifts are Flat Barbell Bench Press, Overhead Press, Back Squat, Deadlift, and in this case Power Clean (usually considered an olympic lift but it works well with tennis. Basically follow a routine like this:
Day 1
Squat 3 sets by 5 reps
Flat Barbell Bench Press 3 sets by 5 reps
Power Clean (use a hook grip) 3 sets by 3 reps
Day 2
Squat 3 sets by 5 reps
Overhead Press or Incline Barbell Bench Press 3 sets by 5 reps
Deadlift 1 set by 3 reps
Day 3 is the same as Day 1
Look up starting strength by Ripptoe, this is a kind of different template that I used and still use now. You can use either one, starting strength is a little easier but I prefer triples for Power Cleans and Deadlifts instead of 5 reps. For reference after about 15 months of lifting I can Bench 225, Squat 365, and Deadlift 485 at 160lb body weight (would have been higher but mono and injuries have held me back), although I reduced the amount of tennis I play by a lot.

3. The cardio you do is entirely up to you. I never do cardio unless it's sports specific.

If you want more info shoot me an email at t1000ct at gmail.com I'm finishing up the end of my semester at college so I'm not going to be able to check this site often for the next 2 weeks, but I check my email 3-4x a day.