View Single Post
Old 04-26-2013, 12:10 PM   #3
JRstriker12
Hall Of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to JRstriker12

Quote:
Originally Posted by peakay View Post
Hey there,

Just recently lost a doubles match in our club tourney. The team we played was simply better, but the frustrating part was we didn't substantially change tactics during the match to give ourselves a chance.

Does anyone have a rule to follow for when to make a major change (change sides, lob vs drives, australian, etc.)?

The reason I am asking is I would really like to have a rule or axion I can rely on in case thigns start getting out of hand and I'm not being mentally very analytical. Something to fall back on so the match doesn't get too out of hand.

We were very close in the first set, tons of long deuce games, I thought we were going to win it or go to TB, but lost at 3. Then in the next set the games were still close, but it got completely away from us and before we knew it, we lost at 1. The match just seemed to go quicker and quicker and felt like we were done before we knew it. We never made any major tactical changes.

Thanks in advance for any constructive feedback!
Don't think there's a single rule since what you do will depend in what's going on in the match.

Also, there's not always a lot you can do in that situation where the other team is clearly better.

It can also be a mental thing where you lose close, deuce games, then in the second set the other team has the momentum and wins the important points.

But in general:

1. If you get totally stomped in the first first set, making a change in the second set would be a good idea. If it's close an you are competitive, that doesn't always mean a massive change, it could be a small one such as playing to one player's weaker side more or poaching more.

2. Discuss with you partner and try to find put what type of points you are winning and figure a way to create the pattern - might be going Aussie, 2-back or switching sides, etc.