View Single Post
Old 04-28-2013, 10:46 AM   #60
yemenmocha
Professional

Great collection of advice above.

Head to Head one time does NOT mean someone is a better player than you. Two players can play the same wide field of opponents and one does far better on the whole, yet has a head to head losing record to the player who did worse on the whole. One of my weaknesses is left-handed opponents with big serves because I've never had a lefty practice partner.

Also, assuming this opponent is a true pusher, the probabilities of the net game should always win. The angles from volleys and unreturnability of overheads makes this so. If you're set up in the right position with the right serve & volley, or the right approach to volley or overhead, this strategy should win. If you can't serve well enough, approach well enough, volley well enough, or have a bad overhead - this won't work. You need those skills. It's just the nature of the dimensions of the court that even if someone has the fitness of Nadal (but a 4.0 set of strokes) they cannot push successfully against a proper net game.

For practice I like the following. Drop hit game to 11. Twist: one person wins two points if an unforced error is made, and the other person wins two points if a point is finished at net. All others are worth one point. Take turns doing this with your practice partner. It creates a nice incentive to be the one role or the other.

Last edited by yemenmocha : 04-28-2013 at 10:49 AM.
yemenmocha is offline   Reply With Quote