View Single Post
Old 04-28-2013, 12:36 PM   #10
WildVolley
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakPoint View Post
Well, if your opponent is truly better than you, then by definition, you can't beat him. I mean that's why he's a "better" player. Hard to beat a guy who's more stable and consistent than you are. The only way to beat him is to become a better player yourself and become even more stable and consistent than he is.
At a philosophical level I disagree with this sort of statement. I've definitely lost to players when I was better player. What I mean by that claim is that if we played repeatedly over a period of time, I'd normally win 9 of 10 matches, but for whatever reason I lost that day. It seems to me that the same thing happens to the pros. Almost certainly Nadal and Djokovic have lost at some point to players who were not as good as them. A bad day can happen to almost anyone, but usually it doesn't cause a loss unless the gap between the two players isn't great.

I believe the best chance you have to beat a better player is to discover a type of shot that the opponent doesn't like. Take your opponent out of his comfort zone say with high bouncing shots to the backhand. The problem against a better player is he will either adapt to the shot during the course of the match, or practice it so the next time it is ineffective.
WildVolley is offline   Reply With Quote