View Single Post
Old 04-29-2013, 03:44 AM   #34
sdont
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dykstra View Post
His matches against Ferrer are probably among the most impressive of his career, but they are only a few matches.

Check out his record against Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, and Murray. There is a huge talent gap between those guys and a guy like Monfils, and it shows in the head to heads. To be fair, I think those guys outclass just about everyone else by a wide margin as well, so it should not really reflect negatively on Monfils. But I think it is ridiculous to suggest that Monfils is as talented or more talented than those players.

The one player that I think is close to as talented as the top 4 players is Del Potro. Del Potro, unlike Monfils, has actually had moments where he has blown the top players off the court and shown that he had the talent to compete with and beat those players at their best.

Monfils has never dominated the game in that way before. If he was as talented as you claim, he would have at least had some matches where he was locked in and playing his best, where he blew a prime Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, or Murray (not on clay) off the court. A couple wins against Ferrer, while great in their own way, do not back up your claim that he is as talented or more talented than anyone.
I didn't claim anything. As I already said, you were the one to claim he has "weak technical skills compared to most top 50 players." I reacted to that. Now you change your tune.

About Ferrer, once again, it was a reaction to your claim that inconsistency in strokes is an indication of weak technical skills. It wasn't to back up any claim from my part.

Now, you bring up the talent card. It's interesting that the new criterion is not consistency anymore, but rather the capacity to play one's best tennis against the very top players and "blow them off the court". Totally different proposition, isn't it? Oh yeah, so many top 50 players with OK technical skills are able to do that.

May I suggest that you look into Monfils-Nadal matches in Doha?