View Single Post
Old 04-30-2013, 02:24 AM   #38
Moz
Hall Of Fame

I think 6 months would just end up in frustration.

You could spend 6 months either improving your game technically or 6 months playing tournaments to improve your rating or 6 months getting match fit. You wouldn't be able to do all at once.

There's a great deal of pressure to play tournaments to meet goals and to make the time off seem "worth it" and to meet ratings goals, however that's not really compatible with developing strokes etc.

You'll also find that seedings become quite important (it can be the difference between playing once and twice a day which is significant at your age) and it'll take 6 months or so for you to get your ranking points / rating up to the point where you can benefit from them.

Depending where you live you may well also run into issues with tournament availability which increases the expense and will reduce effective practise time.

I'd forget people who say 6 months off affects careers. I've taken a number of breaks and it made no difference to my interviewability - it's not the 1960s any more. Taking over 4 years off will have an impact though!!

To make the most of any time off I'd recommend you put yourself in a physical position to make the most of it (weight, rotator cuff work, flexibility, aerobic background). I'd also focus on any major technical flaws and get some one to one lessons whilst you're earning. Plot a roadmap now and say "I'll have X months off when I have achieved <fitness goals here>, <weight goals here>, <technical goals here> and <financial goals here>.

Then you can compete effectively in the time you have off. Also, accept that winters really get in the way here and you'd be better off going abroad and training over those months (practise your Spanish perhaps!).

Finally (!), get your finances in order in the time leading up to it. Pensions are important, but so are fulfilling ambitions.
Moz is offline   Reply With Quote