View Single Post
Old 04-30-2013, 10:08 AM   #37
RodSmooth
Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dykstra View Post
The whole point of the thread is that the OP thinks that Monfils is the most talented player in the world and should have a won 50 titles and have a better won loss percentage than Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, or Murray.

The main point that I wanted to make in response is that I feel that this is a ridiculous claim and that Monfils has nowhere near that level of talent in him.

I do feel that Monfils technical skills are weak compared to many top 50 players, but his superior athleticism allows him to make up for that. To me, he is a grinder whose strokes break down too often under pressure. This is clearly not something you agree with, so it isn't really worth me trying to prove it to you. It's just my opinion.

As far as a couple wins against Nadal...look at the big picture. He has two wins against 8 losses vs. Nadal. His two wins were at a 250 level tournament. Check out their only match in a grand slam, the US Open in 2009. He was ranked near his career high and reached the R16, so he was playing well. Despite this, he got completely blown off the court by Nadal on his worst surface.
So since he's not that talented and gifted name players, that are more talented and gifted...