View Single Post
Old 05-02-2013, 01:59 PM   #51
WildVolley
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueFLIP View Post
I seem to remember in school that Vitamin C is a water soluble vitamin, so essentially your body will urinate away any that isn't needed.

Drink some OJ. Eat some fruit. Save some $.

Or not. Stuff's pretty cheap anyways if that's the only extra vitamin you take.
I supplement vitamin C. While it is still somewhat controversial, what I've read has flipped me in favor of using it. And it is very inexpensive if you buy it in bulk.

Earlier studies thought that it is just urinated out because it has a short half-life in the body. More recent studies show that larger doses tend to spike blood levels far beyond what was originally claimed, so the earlier understanding was incorrect.

Retinal photos have also showed narrowed blood vessels in the back of the eye reversing on vitamin C therapy. Seems no one has done follow up studies on this promising evidence. Why?

I give less credence to epidemiological studies, but a meta-study showed lower mortality with higher vitamin C supplementation. I'm wary of statistical studies because of experience with statistics - the results can vary greatly based on model specification and GIGO is under-recognized.

At the very least, I won't likely get scurvy.
WildVolley is offline   Reply With Quote