View Single Post
Old 05-03-2013, 11:03 AM   #17
skiracer55
Hall Of Fame

Lightbulb All true...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyR View Post
I don't have a quarrel with the idea of changing, as I mentioned earlier, I aggressively look for opportunities to optimize our game. My comment was I would be very cautious advising abandoning Plan A after one game in a 2 out of 3 set match (you mentioned switching strategies after the first break).
...there is a case for saying you don't throw the baby out with the bathwater, so if you're just down a break, maybe you just keep playing and try to play the big points better. On the other hand..."Insanity is doing the same thing over and over, and expecting different results."

If you watch Men's Open doubles, for example, they're changing things up all the time. They use signals or talk about what each player is going to do on the next point. Maybe they started by serving out wide to the ad side returner, but the guy turns out to be grooved on that side, and can whistle the ball right past the net man, so maybe try some body serves and see if you can get the returner to cough a few up to the net man. Or maybe try using the I formation if the net man isn't getting much action. The ideal, IMHO, is to play serve and volley where the net man hits the volleys, not the server.

On a related note, see what I had to say in post #26 of this thread:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showt...t=hodge&page=2