View Single Post
Old 05-04-2013, 08:10 AM   #34
sureshs
Bionic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs View Post
Aren't the ball kids in Bangladesh - all very high ranked juniors - my friend told me when his partner gets tired - he just uses the ball kids - who are all better players than club members.

He also said - no need for ball machines either because of these kids!!!!
I was about to say - in India too there are plenty of ball kids available for cheap. Many of them are not only better than most 4.5 players, they are also better than the coaches! I have used several of them during vacations, but there is always a "coach" who will take the lion's share of the money and boss over them, while the boys do the actual work.

There was a time when the kids were not going to school so there was the eternal debate whether they should be used or not (using them encourages them not to go to school, not using them makes them starve as they don't have money and won't go to school anyways and become targets for drug peddlers, etc). Now education is compulsory and free and laws are strict and enforced. So the ball "kids" now are actually underemployed young men who are still referred to as "boys."

On one session, I was accompanied by my father. He asked one of these "boys" whether he had completed schooling, probably expecting a tale of poverty like he experienced when he was growing up. He said, no, I just prefer tennis and school did not suit my lifestyle!

Last edited by sureshs : 05-04-2013 at 08:13 AM.
sureshs is offline   Reply With Quote